HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER FOR MEDINA CITY SCHOOLS
Welcome to the Medina City Schools Volunteer Program!
As a volunteer, the assistance you provide enriches the educational experience of our students, allows for more individual attention, and gives our staff the opportunity to continue working effectively with our students on a day-to-day basis. We hope you will find volunteering in our schools satisfying as you make a significant contribution.
For all new and returning volunteers, please complete the online Volunteer Application HERE or you can find it on the District's website under Resources-Volunteering. If you are unable to complete the application online, please call 330-636-3012 for assistance.
Individuals volunteering on a regular basis in school buildings, as a chaperone with school groups or athletic teams are required to complete an FBI ONLY Background Check. This is for your safety as well as that of our students. The Background Check must be completed and filed with the District along with approval by the Board of Education prior to the beginning of your volunteer service. Board approvals occur once per month at a regular Board of Education meeting. Once approved, you will receive an email to confirm you are ready to begin volunteering. The complete process can take up to four to six weeks.
Please note: If you have obtained an FBI background check for another reason within the past five years and can provide a copy, please email a copy to email@example.com or mail to 739 Weymouth Rd, Medina, OH 44256, Attn: Sandi Debnar. We will review the background check to ensure it meets our requirements and it may eliminate your need for fingerprinting at this time.
A Background Check IS Needed If You Are:
- Volunteering on a regular basis within a school (i.e. on a weekly or bi-weekly basis)
- Volunteering one-on-one with students within a school building
- Volunteering in a group setting with students within a school building
- Volunteering as a chaperone on field trips or other approved school trips
- Volunteering through the Athletic Department (i.e. volunteer coach or chaperone)
A Background Check Is NOT Needed If You:
- Have completed and submitted a copy of your FBI Background Check within the past five years to the Medina City Schools’ Community Relations Department
- Are a speaker in a classroom
- Volunteer for a special event in a classroom and /or school (i.e. party, COSI, dance)
Upon submitting your online Volunteer Application, you will receive an email with additional directions regarding fingerprinting (be sure to check both your inbox and spam folder). This entire process must be completed prior to taking on any volunteer responsibilities. After the completion of the necessary steps, you will receive an email notifying you that the process has been finalized and you will be approved to volunteer.
Please contact the Community Relations Department at 330-636-3012 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Thank you!